MDCH – Michigan Informed Consent for Abortion information
The State of Michigan requires that certain information be made available to those seeking abortions at least 24 hours prior to their procedure. These documents are available online as well as through our office.
The following link will take you to the state-sponsored website: http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-73971_4909-45202–,00.html
Please see “Website Information” below for assistance with their website. After reviewing the documents, you will need to print out a confirmation form which is used as proof that you have reviewed the necessary information. Bring this form with you to your appointment. Please make sure that you visit the website and print out the consent form at least 24 hours prior to your abortion procedure.
Through our office Since we have these documents on hand, you may stop by our office at least a day before your procedure to pick them up.
You may also receive this information by fax. Just call us with your fax number and we will fax you the documents and consent form. Again, be sure to review the documents and sign the form at least 24 hours before your procedure.
Please note: The consent form is good for two weeks only. If you have not had your procedure done within two weeks, you will need to review the documents and sign another consent form.
If you have any questions about this requirement, please call us at (313) 272-8450.
Website Information You are required by law to review the information on the state website — but remember that we can provide this information to you in person or via fax if you prefer (see above).
After reviewing the website you MUST print the confirmation form and bring it with you to your appointment. We are required to read to you a State approved statement when you schedule your appointment. At that time you will be asked to verify that you have received the Informed Consent information at least 24 hours before the abortion procedure.
The link to the State of Michigan website is listed below. Because we’ve received feedback that the instructions on their website are not clear, we have provided some guidance to help you comply with this law:
- Click on “Michigan’s Informed Consent for Abortion Law” in the main section of the web page.
- At the bottom of this page, click the “Next Page” link.
- Select the abortion procedure or procedures that you want to review and click on those links.
- If you are having a non-surgical abortion, you should review the “Medical Abortion Using Mifepristone and Misoprostol”, “Suction Curettage”, and “Dilation and Evacuation” pages.
- If you are having a surgical abortion, you should review the “Suction Curettage” and “Dilation and Evacuation” pages.
- Click on “Next” at the bottom of the last procedure page you review.
- Click on the number of weeks on the Fetal Development Index page that most closely matches the fetus’ gestational age.
- Click on “Next” at the bottom of the Fetal Development page you review.
- Click on “Next” at the bottom of the Pre-Natal Care page.
- Click on “Next” at the bottom of the Parenting page.
- Print out the form titled: Informed Consent Confirmation Form. You MUST bring this form with you when you arrive at the clinic for your procedure.
- The form contains:
• The date and time it was printed.
• The earliest date and time that you are able to have an abortion under this law.
• An expiration date that is TWO WEEKS from the day you print the form.
- The form contains:
If your appointment is scheduled after the expiration date you will need to visit the website again to obtain a new confirmation form that is valid for the date of your appointment.