Summit Medical Centers is one of the nation’s leading abortion providers and one of the first to offer outpatient 2nd trimester procedures.
Our Detroit Summit Center provides 2nd trimester abortions up to 24 weeks. Please the Detroit Summit Center 313-272-8450 to find out more information.
- The information below is specific to 2nd trimester abortion procedures. It is based on length of pregnancy (gestation).
- In addition to your abortion procedure, all patients will fill out paperwork, have basic lab work, an ultrasound, and a health education session.
- Some patients may choose to have STD (counseling and treatment available for this, too).
- We offer all Summit patients medicines to help with pain, antibiotics to prevent infection, and birth control options.
For more information on what to expect during your surgical abortion, visit the Surgical Abortion page.
For patients 12-14 weeks
Early second trimester abortions are one-day procedures. They typically last about 5-8 minutes. Our providers might give you a medication before your abortion to soften or prepare the cervix. This makes dilation easier and safer for the patient.
For patients 14 – 18 weeks
These 2nd trimester abortions are most often one-day procedures that last about 5-10 minutes. In some cases, a two-day abortion procedure may be needed (continue reading the the information below, and contact your local Summit provider for details).
Our providers will give you medication before your abortion to prepare your cervix. This make dilation easier and safer for the patient.
For patients over 19 weeks
- In some later 2nd trimester abortions, our clinics might require you to make 2-3 visits over the course of 2-3 days.
- In cases of multiple visits, you’ll complete everything you would for a one-day visit: paperwork, lab work, ultrasound, and a health education session specific to your procedure on the first day.
- We’ll then give you care instructions and medications to help to begin dilation of the cervix before going home. This may include laminaria (a sterile seaweed that expands with water) which is inserted into the cervix to aid slow, gentle dilation, making the surgical procedure safer for the patient.
- The next morning you will likely return to Summit to complete your abortion procedure, or continue the dilation process.
- Please contact the office for details on later/2-3 day surgical abortion procedures.